Manny Caro is the new Community Engagement Coordinator at the Violence Intervention Program, responsible for recruiting and supporting volunteers for all programs including mentoring, tutoring, child care, our Education Center, and special events. Since joining VIP in March, Manny has been committed to growing our volunteer programs in order to better serve the kids that walk through our doors every day.
He notes, “Our volunteers are a reminder to the children who receive services at VIP that there are still people who care about them and are willing to share their time and talents.”
Manny graduated from California State University, Northridge, with a BA in Sociology with a concentration in Social Welfare and Social Justice. After spending a number of years in the global aerospace and defense industry, he decided to make a career change in order to pursue his calling of helping others. He admits that he did not get to where he is today without the guidance of mentors throughout his life; understanding the impact that his own mentors had on him, makes him that much more passionate about the volunteer programs here at VIP.
VIP relies on volunteers from the community for some of our most essential client programs. Check out our volunteer opportunities below to see how you can make an impact in the life of a child:
- Mentor – Make a difference in the life of a child who has dealt with trauma by becoming a mentor. As a mentor, you become a positive adult role model and help a child become their best selves.
- Tutor – Many of our caregivers often lack the time and/or resources to nurture their children’s academic success. As a tutor, you help our kids achieve their academic goals and give them the confidence needed to succeed.
- Child Care – While caregivers attend vital parenting workshops and therapy appointments at VIP, volunteers play with the little ones, children ages 0-4, through fun and engaging activities.
- Education Activity Center – In our after school Education Activity Center, volunteers interact with our kids by coordinating arts and crafts activities, playing games, reading, and assisting with homework.
- Other Opportunities – In addition to working with our kids, volunteers are needed to assist with other agency activities including: processing donations; assisting with special client events; and helping with occasional administrative tasks.
If you are interested in volunteering or have questions about VIP’s volunteer programs, please contact Manny at firstname.lastname@example.org.