The Violence Intervention Program (VIP) is proud to release our 2013-2014 Annual Report titled “30 Years of Growth,” commemorating 30 years of service to children and other victims of abuse, neglect, and sexual assault.
In looking back over the last 30 years, VIP has transformed from a small child abuse program into the largest child abuse program in L.A. County; perhaps the country. Through the leadership of Dr. Astrid Heppenstall Heger, VIP has grown at an extraordinary pace, working tirelessly to create a “campus of services” for at-risk and foster youth. Highlights from this past year include:
- Serving over 15,000 victims of abuse and neglect at the VIP Hub, the largest in Los Angeles County.
- Opening the Youth Welcome Center (YWC) for teens awaiting placement into foster care.
- Kicking-off a $2 million capital campaign to construct the new HOPE Center for Teens; providing comprehensive services to foster and at-risk youth.
- The Blue Ribbon Commission on Child Protection, released in April of 2014, identified VIP as the ideal standard of care for child victims entering foster care.
- H.E.A.R.T., VIP’s auxiliary membership group, raised over $200,000 to provide direct client services, the “essential nonessentials,” for our children and their caregivers.
- Over 150 volunteers dedicated over 4,000 hours of service to VIP and our clients.
Over the next year, VIP will continue to grow and remain an integral part of finding the solutions to the challenges that face our most vulnerable. It is because of the friendship and generosity of our supporter that allows VIP to make such an impact on the lives of children throughout the County today.